GSACEP is the Government Services Chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians. The GS chapter was formed in 1977 by ACEP to give military physicians a chapter “home” to build networking and leadership opportunities that would be consistent despite frequent military moves. GSACEP has expanded to represent the unique practice situations encountered by active duty, National Guard, and Reserve members, as well as physicians in federal service in the Veterans’ Administration, Indian Health Service, Department of Health and Human Services, and Public Health Service.
Who is GSACEP?
GSACEP is currently one of the large chapters in ACEP, representing over 1200 primary and secondary members. According to our Bylaws, a physician is eligible for membership in GSACEP if he/she is an ACEP member and actively practice as employees of a United States federal agency or holds a commission in any branch of the United States Armed Forces.
You can join GSACEP if you are a resident or medical student member of the Emergency Medicine Residents Association. You may also join as a candidate member if you are a general medical officer while you apply for residency.
GSACEP Member Benefits
- Continuing education conference focusing on the unique military and federal health care environment
- EPIC Newsletter with stories highlighting GSACEP members, unique military careers for EM physicians, and other articles with special relevance to our members
- Access to archived lectures from previous Government Services Symposium conferences and other conferences
- Web resources dedicated to preparing for a successful deployment
- Free CME courses from leading risk management group The Sullivan Group
- Various scholarship programs for attending ACEP’s Scientific Assembly and Leadership and Advocacy Conference
Latest GSACEP Initiatives
- GSACEP’s Board of Directors and committees are continually searching for ways to bring more value to our members. Through the efforts of the GSACEP Board, ACEP is aware of the struggles active duty physicians are facing with no CME funding from the services. Here are a few highlights of our recent accomplishments.
- Twenty scholarships for Scientific Assembly to cover registration fees for GSACEP members
- Discount on virtual ACEP for active duty military members. Active duty can purchase access to world class CME presented at Scientific Assembly for only $99, a $350 savings
- All new website, featuring updated content and a members only section
- Networking opportunities with other GSACEP physicians according to service component, geographic location, or special interest area
- Career Transitions web resources to assist physicians as they prepare to leave the military and transition into civilian life, including ways to stay involved in the federal healthcare system
Leadership Opportunities and Awards
- GSACEP Board of Directors consists of the President, Immediate Past President, President Elect, Secretary-Treasurer, Resident Representative, and GSACEP Councilors. The Board conducts the business of the chapter and participates in the ACEP Council, representing GSACEP’s interests to ACEP on a national level.
- The Excellence in Military Emergency Medicine Award recognizes a leader who has contributed to military emergency medicine and impacted the profession. Each year, members of GSACEP are invited to submit candidate names for this award.
- The Medical Director Leadership Award to be given to a GSACEP member in a leadership position in an emergency department. The award is based on operational effectiveness, education, community service, collaboration with nursing, and a synergistic approach to leadership.
- The GSACEP Rising Star Award, honoring junior Emergency Medicine physicians who most exemplify excellence and dedication to service.
- The GSACEP Fellowship in Leadership and Advocacy is designed to develop and groom future military and federal emergency medicine leaders. The fellowship combines elements of mentoring, with skills in organization, education, advocacy, and involvement.
How to Get Involved Presentation
How can I join GSACEP?
If you are already an ACEP member, you can change your chapter membership by sending an email to email@example.com and requesting the change. If you are not an ACEP member, go to www.acep.org to join, and select Government Services as your chapter during the registration process.